Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Someone draw the dumb girl a picture, please

Okay, I can't stand it any longer. I have tried to let it pass, move on, forget about it, but it just keeps resurfacing and jumping up to slap me in the face and remind me that I am truly an idiot.

I have been a Christian for 6 years. I go to church every week. I lead a ministry, for Pete's sake. But would someone please explain to me why I have NO IDEA what in the heck "Advent" is? I have never heard the word before this year, and now everyone seems to be on the Advent Bus except me. All the cool kids are throwing this word around, and it seems there is even a calendar available dedicated to this 'Advent' thing.

Please explain to the dumb girl what it is so I can go to bed and sleep already. And promise you won't make fun of me...too badly. No mocking allowed on my blog unless I'm the mocker.

5 Comments:

At 12/14/2005 7:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's really a cool thing. Google Advent wreath and you will read all about it.

 
At 12/14/2005 2:49 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh silly Minnie...Advent is, uh...well...growing up we celebrated advent by....hmmm...

I was raised in a Christian home and I really don't know what it is either. I know at church you light Advent candles, and my mom use to buy me advent calanders every year....I know it hasn't been that long since I asked my mom AGAIN...what is advent...I still couldn't tell you.

So don't feel dumb. Or...maybe I should!

I'm gonna do as Amanda suggested so I can learn too.

 
At 12/14/2005 5:04 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

when you learn the details, let us know. I just know in my church (the one I grew up in) we lit candles and someone read something.

 
At 12/14/2005 10:50 PM, Blogger Minnie said...

Here is the link explaining Advent. Some of the websites said it is a Catholic-rooted tradition, but actually started before Christianity, then was later adapted by Christians to symbolize the 4,000 years between Adam and Eve and Christ's birth. http://www.cresourcei.org/cyadvent.html

It's interesting, but I develop a very short attention span when it comes to rituals and such. Blame it on the ADD.

 
At 12/24/2005 10:56 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Ok, let me recommend Lisa Whelchel's book, The ADVENTure of Christmas. You will not only get the jist of Advent, but she has some great ideas on how to incorporate lessons on Christ this time of year. Plus it is a very easy read. And, after tomorrow, it will probably be half off!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home