Friday, April 28, 2006

A True 'Minnie Moment'

As I mentioned, Jake and I went to a big dinner last night at this ginormous house (OH. MY. GOSH. You should have seen this house). If I don't say so myself, I was looking pretty darned sassy donning my new finds from the mall the other night. But I wished I would've been wearing a burkha when it was all over. Just see:

When it was time to head through the food line at the party, the gracious hostess of the GORGEOUS (did I mention OH. MY. GOSH. yet?) home we were invading was standing by and greeting everyone. I walked over, introduced myself, thanked her for having us, complimented her on her home, blabbity, blabbity, blah. She was really nice and sassy, and excitedly said she loved my hair! :o) (All props go to Karen in the hair department!) We chatted for a second and she said something snarky so I laughed through my nose.

That's when I heard the bad horror movie shrieking noises in the back of my mind and everything went in sort of slow motion from that point on.

See, I've been sporting a head cold for the past week, dear internet friends, so my head is full of nothing but snot and ugly green mucus. When I laughed, a huge, and I mean HUGE (that one's for you, GiNelle) ball of snot came barrelling out of my right nostril with a vengeance.

I quickly tried to recover by covering my face with my hands but it was all happening so fast! She politely tried to turn her head from the horror while I attempted to swiftly and discreetly suck back up what had just come flying out of my nose. I literally turned my head toward Jake's shoulder and wished I could bury it in his shirt. Of course the next few minutes were spent making sure I didn't have snot all over my face (you know, along with the egg). She kept the chit-chat going like she hadn't just seen all of that yuck come out of there, but I was praying like I had never prayed before for her to please move along to the people behind us in line and just let me shrivel up and die in peace already.

I now have a most embarrassing story, thank you very much. I have always said that nothing embarrasses me, but I've met my match. 'The time I was introducing myself to the nice lady of the multi-million-dollar home I was attending and blew snot all over my face when she said something snarky'.

Leave it to me.

7 Comments:

At 4/28/2006 10:00 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Yeah, we wanna see the sassy Minnie! Oh how emabarassing. I had a most embarassing moment years and years ago - early 20's. Went to a work party, and sneezed so hard that it pushed out whatever air was in my body and I well, you know, tooted at the same time. The guys and older men had a good laugh at that, but I so wanted to crawl under a desk and hide. I'm feelin' for ya on this one honey!

 
At 4/28/2006 10:12 AM, Blogger Minnie said...

HA! Now THAT'S funny! Poor Kate. You've got me beat hands down on that one, girlfriend.

 
At 4/28/2006 10:14 AM, Blogger Minnie said...

OH, and no pic. We couldn't find the camera in the mad dash out the door. But I'm wearing the same clothes to the retreat this weekend, so I'll have more photo ops. (Shut up. You guys do the same thing.)

 
At 4/28/2006 10:45 AM, Blogger Addie said...

Ah, thanks for the chuckle Minnie! Sounds like something I've done. I walked around on Sunday at church with a big booger on my shirt that had fallen out and I didn't even know it. Only God knows how long that giant thing sat on my shirt before a friend told me!

 
At 4/28/2006 11:10 AM, Blogger the voice said...

I know how embarrased I feel when something like that happens to me, but then I realize how I feel when it happens to someome in front of me. I don't think less of them, as a matter of fact, I usually wish there was something I could do to help. I do not believe that she is going to judge you from a silly little accident. And if she did, she would be the one not worthy of you!

 
At 4/28/2006 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry but my husband and i were cracking up!

 
At 5/02/2006 1:17 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Okay, they're laughing, but it snot funny. Maybe it was for phelgm...I mean, for them, but I totally feel awful for you mucus ...er...because I know you had to feel like gunk...uh... fell terrible after that.

Okay, I'll stop now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home