Thursday, April 20, 2006

You Never Know What The Day Is Going To Bring

This past Tuesday I woke up early and decided that I was going to get showered and ready and get my errands run before lunch time so I could go swimming all afternoon (those of you in cold weather states: don't be hatin'!!). When I woke up I felt a little...funny.

I just need to eat some breakfast I thought. So I made myself two bowls of organic oatmeal with flax seed and honey (it's totally good, so shut up and stop rolling your eyes).

After I ate, Kale wanted to go across the street and play. My friend, Sarah had conversation and coffee ready to go, and I was game, so we sat and talked and I had two cups of coffee while the kids played upstairs. It was about 9:30 and I had promised Jacob I would come to his school and have lunch with him, so I ran across to get that shower I missed earlier.

While in the shower that "funny" feeling wasn't so funny anymore, but since I had just downed two ginormous cups of coffee and I was in a steaming hot shower, I shrugged it off and got out of the shower before I passed out. I quickly got dressed, fixed my hair, and grabbed Kale to go next door to the school to meet our lunch date.

While we were eating I felt like I was about to jump out of my skin. I was shaky, my head was faint, and I felt like I was about to pass out. Still, I shrugged it off to having too much caffeine in my system.

After lunch we said farewell to Jacob and headed out for our errands. We made it to Auto Zone for a windshield wiper replacement for my car and some Skittles (not organic, I know - go ahead and call me a hypocrite) for Kale to keep him happy during the rest of our running.

Our next stop was Ross for a few new warm-weather tops for me. By this time I was not feeling myself at all and decided to get myself a bottle of water from the sporting goods store next door and walk around a bit to see if perhaps it would mysteriously go away.

Well, it didn't. Instead, it got worse. So I called Jake to come get me since I didn't dare get in the car and drive at this point.

At the time I thought maybe my blood sugar levels were out of whack and I was having a diabetic attack or something. So after I called Jake, Kale and I went and sat in the air-conditioned car so I could lay my head back and he could watch a movie. Within 10 minutes my legs and arms were like dead weights, my breathing was labored, I couldn't hold my head up, and my vision was extremely blurry.

Scared, I called Jake and, while on the phone, I passed out. Apparently I was out for several minutes and he was stuck in traffic and helpless. The best part and the part I laugh at? As soon as I lost consciousness, Jake heard Kale say from the back seat, "I have to go potty!" Talk about timing! (Hey! I have to find humor in this somewhere!)

By the time Jake reached me (45-minutes after I called him to come) I couldn't move, couldn't talk, and had passed out a second time. He had to carry me to his truck and from there to the hospital (a 20-minute drive) I passed out at least 6 more times.

Poor Jake! I can just picture it! He's trying to maneuver through heavy Downtown Fort Worth traffic, talk on the phone with the hospital trying to find out where to go and explain what's going on with me, and have me next to him flopping all over the place with my right arm flailing uncontrollably. HA! I would have paid to be a fly on the wall. I'm sure we were a funny sight!

Anywho, he gets me to the ER, they wheel me in and I am still incoherent and in and out of consciousness. I pass out several more times just to show off for the ER staff and they decide to admit me for the night.

Three days in the hospital, another 'episode' last night, countless blood tests, CT scans, MRI's, MRA's, EEG's, and Echo Cardiograms later, I have been diagnosed with having Complex Focal Seizures. I am now the girl that you can ask to hold your milk when you are craving a milk shake. (Just make sure I hold it in my right hand.)

I am home now and on meds. I can't drive for at least two weeks until I follow up with my Neurologist, and I may not be able to drive until I'm seizure-free for 6 months (bleh, bleh, double-bleh!!!).

What's bad? In my groggy, in-and-out-of-consciousness-state, all I could think of was this: "THANK YOU GOD THAT I SHAVED MY LEGS TODAY!!!!!"

What's great? I got to share Jesus with every single nurse and med tech I had.

If it means having to have seizures and be stuck in the hospital to get to do that, then all I have to say is this:



At 4/20/2006 7:34 PM, Blogger Jeana said...

Minnie. I am trying to worry about you here, and you're being so funny is making it very difficult. Girl! Are you sure you didn't make this up, so after your loooong absence you can come back with a bang and get some attention?

Praying for you girl! That is scary! So glad you seem to have a great attitude though.

okay, I have to share this. Your encrypted word that I'm supposed to type is saddad. No joke. Your dad or mine?

At 4/20/2006 8:22 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Minnie, I am so sorry that this has been happening to you. It's funny because yesterday while cleaning my bedroom, I was really thinking about you and began to pray for you. I knew something wasn't right and I was going to call. I should have. I am still praying for you.

At 4/20/2006 8:32 PM, Blogger Shelley said...

I was just about to send you an email and tell you that if you needed blog material, you could have just called me instead of going to such lengths!

Seriously, I am thinking of and praying for you. My hands and feet are ready to help you in any way you need.

At 4/20/2006 10:28 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Minnie! I was wondering why you hadn't posted in awhile! I'm so sorry, I didn't know!

Ummm . . . but, judging by your post, this couldn't have happened to a better person.

You are in my prayers!

At 4/20/2006 11:53 PM, Blogger the voice said...

Wow, it takes an amazing person to find so much humor in a major medical emergency, and to then use it as a chance to witness! My hat's off to you, girl. You will definately be in my prayers. God bless you!

At 4/21/2006 9:47 AM, Blogger Lisa Guillory said...

I love you diva girl ! Your post was amazing, whitty and scary all at the same time. God is using you in awesome ways. We are right around the corner. Have fun at "home team" tonite. Hehehe, yes I'm definately a blonde!

At 4/25/2006 4:25 PM, Anonymous Val Philibert said...

I am glad to hear you are back home and taking care of business. Your story is amazing and all the while reading it at work, I am thinking...uhm we should probably go ahead and flag you for a new picture on your DL that we captured from DOT on HWY 121 that day! ha ha You have been and will continue to be prayed for!

At 4/27/2006 9:53 AM, Blogger Kate said...

Oh my goodness! I must have skipped this post when we were gone. I am so glad to hear you are on the mend now but how scarey was that?! Have a wonderful weekend at the retreat. I'm sure you will be blessed :)

At 5/23/2006 7:43 PM, Anonymous eph2810 said...

Oh my goodness. That I call a gal with witnessing power; God surely was with you during your time of distress. Otherwise I don't think you could have held on until your hubby was 'in reach' - at least via phone.
I do hope that the docotors have you on the right medication for you to continue a close to normal life. Also with two little boys around the house, I am sure you have not a quite moment.
I'll be praying for you and yours.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home